Thursday, June 14, 2012

have a nice day


george carlin had this bit
about having a nice day
that whenever he
purchased something
the cashier would always
say have a nice day
and he thought
what if I don’t want
to have a nice day
what if I want to have
a really shitty day

it was that forced
appreciation
of the day
the insinuation
that good
things were ahead

well, after years in service
have a nice day
is still
the most commonly
used phrase
for departure

what I can’t stand
is the falseness
about it
because in all sincerity
I couldn’t give two shits
if you have a nice day
and in all likelihood
you feel the same

and the other day
handing out
a beverage
through the drive-thru
window the words
left my mouth
and I could feel them
slugging over my lips

but it was the reception
of these words
that was most disturbing
by an older Mennonite
woman wearing a bonnet
button down and long skirt

taking her drink
saying
well I already
had a good day
because I saw you

and I could feel
the sincerity
in her kindness
and it was nauseating

give me shit on my shoes
a thunderstorm
a rash
anything

but don’t ever
give me
such kindness

because
it will never
be returned

No comments:

Post a Comment