Tuesday, May 22, 2012

         a poetry reading


I was parked down on Mercer Street
listening to a poetry reading
over the speakers.
a disc so old it skips now
but I have all the words
memorized anyway.  in my rear view
I could see a young prostitute,
maybe 19 in a tube top
and blue jeans
propositioning an
octogenarian to meet
her on the playground.

dozens of children
poured
out of the venue
where I was to read
at an open mic.

the promoter charged
$2 for performers
and $3 to sit in the audience.

in exchange we were
offered stale cookies
soda and burnt coffee.

it felt moderately like a support group.
“hi, I’m joe and I’m a poet.”
“hi joe.”

reading at an open mic
is much like farting
in the supermarket
while you’re bending
over to retrieve an avocado.

everyone hears
something
but they never
make eye contact
or attempt to locate
the source.
a couple poets read to
a bare audience
to children running
and texting
and twatting
and fingering the
future of their own idiocy

and then an all female
children’s musical
group is announced. 
they are all 13 and they sing
songs by Led Zeppelin
and The Velvet Underground

and flick their tongues
at all of us as they
crash their instruments.

it is all highly
inappropriate
and slightly
discomforting.

one of the mothers
records them
from the front row
the crack of her
fat ass slicing
through the back
of her lawn chair.

I leave before
I’m called
to the stage
saving my poetry
about fat people
farting
nervous pissing
and critical judgment
for a bar, a bedroom
or an old cardboard box.

outside the hooker
and the old man
are missing.
I’m sure he got
his money’s
worth.  

maybe some day
we all will.

No comments:

Post a Comment