Thursday, March 8, 2012

when I decide to fall in love
I climb to the roof
of the abandoned farmhouse
and when I’m about jump
I fall through the roof
into the bedroom
where children were raised
where white wallpaper
with rainbows
and hot air
balloons is torn
into the shape
of a cave’s mouth
whose teeth are made
of yellow jackets
that cover my hands
as if I’m drowning
and so I climb into
the broken bassinet
and become helpless
and confused
at the discovery
of fingers and toes

I sleep in the basinet
each night
trying to grow up
throwing fits
and pushing my legs
over and out
of the basinet walls

I cry for my father
and an old man
crawls out
from underneath
the basinet and begins
building fires beneath me

I cry for my mother
and a little girl
leaps out
from the cave’s mouth
blowing heads
off dying dandelions

I cry and I cry
and the old man
and the little girl
burst into sparrows
nesting on my eyelids
until the shells
of my eyeballs cracked

and out climbed love
and out climbed hate

squawking and gagging and spouting
pushing and punching and fucking

exchanging body parts
for dreams of the cave’s
throat closed in digression

No comments:

Post a Comment